Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spawning System: A Fresh Take
It's been close to a year since I've posted here, and that was when this was still the Star Wars remake; glad to be back (I made suggestions for the Commander Mode and the Planetary Invasion Mode).

I've had a problem with shooter war games for years now. The whole spawning concept is just off. Think; you're capturing an enemy command post, and after all the hard work it took for you to get there, an enemy materialises from thin air and destroys you. The only reason why spawning in FPS/war games is what it is, is because it's too much of a chore for players to be forced to march all the way back to their last position from their back-most base; and that's a completely legitimate concern.

What I propose, however, is what I think to be a much better solution to this; one that dodges the inconvenience of walking all the way back to your last area, whilst giving attackers a fair chance to, well, attack, without the fear of enemies magically appearing in front of them, since they could see the enemy coming with enough field awareness.

My idea is as follows:

1: There is only one "spawn point", where players appear in the game, and that's their main base.
2: There are no set capture points in the field to take and spawn from. Rather, players control a vehicle, for example, which they take to a desired location on the front line, and then unload into a small forward command post (there are more ways of doing this than just a vehicle). The mobile base then appears on the team's map once it is put online, and can act as an ammo-depo, vehicle drop-point, and communications post (more on that last one in another post). When this happens, players who spawn at the main base can choose to be automatically spawned in an ai-controlled drop ship, which then takes them to the desired command post. 
The base can then be either destroyed or captured by the enemy, adding even greater strategic diversity than fixed spawn points.
3: SIDE NOTE: For immersion's sake, there could be a mode that limits vehicle and ammo supplies like in a real war. In this case, losing enough dropships will cause them to run out, forcing players to carefully plan their moves when they go back out.
4: Another method of quick deployment to forward bases would be an ODST style orbital drop. This would be an available option if the team has at least a carrier or flagship in space, which can act as another main base (this would also be the case for the attackers in the planetary invasion mode).

Of course, for the sake of player freedom, I would propose this as an option on top of existing instant-spawn point systems. Regardless, I believe this is a great remedy to an often overlooked problem in shooters.

Tell us your thoughts people, I wanna hear em. Keep an eye out for more posts by me, as I'll be suggesting more features later.
This is a great idea.
very interesting topic, i didn't realize the issue you brought up could be annoying.
what do you think about an incap / revive feature?

instead of a player dying, it just leaves him/her immobile for a short period until someone arrives to aid the player up to feet. or the player can choose to just decease.

we know planetside 2 map is super large, but the idea of a video like that, it requires a lot of players to be close by. I know GIT's goal is to create a havoc space themed shooter, so all players need to be in close proximity, so it feels crazier.
capture various points in the map sounds like a good idea to me, like Day of Infamy's game modes although you suggested no set capture points.

so instead my suggestion is game map's size and a small game mode idea.

Foot Game Mode
a small sized map but large enough for soldiers to spread out.
can't have fast vehicles in this map but slower ones, maybe some tanks or jump jets.

@devs
Please take a look at Unreal Tournament 3 Warfare game mode. This is important.
They have many maps of different sizes, a lot can be learned here and a lot can be improved. For one, it was really, really fun then but the crowd was little. It had a very good balance of vehicles in the map, including fast ones and slow territorial ones, and also some have base turrets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403yi00ipNg
i just randomly searched, this is a video showing 1 of the warfare UT3 game mode, with set capture points and nodes to deliver, but the point I want to show is the map size, this is a good rough scale of it, maybe just make one tiny bit larger. the video is 16vs16,
imagine how crazy it would be with 32vs32

--So a small map game mode capture points, 32vs32

Large Aerial Game mode
--a very large map, about 10 or 20 times the Foot Game mode
This game mode works as 2 large motherships vs each other. The map could be hovering over a plot of land or even in space.

Each mothership is very slow and has to travel a certain distance. This shows the game progression, as both motherships will eventually meet head on and fight like battleships.
The player spawn location here is in the mothership.
The start game goal is for players to slow down the enemies' mothership by using various small vehicles spawned from either mothership or smaller captured bases on ground level. And motherships should have their own player controlled turrets. Enemies need to destroy certain parts of the ship for different purposes, maybe a shield barrier or rocket thruster.

The vehicles should have different sizes and different amount of seats. So both teams will go attack the opponent's motherships and also minion vehicles.

A 32 vs 32 game mode will be very epic this scale, lots of lasers flying all over the place.
The more players slow down the enemy's mothership, the faster it can advance its own mothership without intereference.
So game mode in this map size is mostly in vehicles, aerial.
both of these will solve the spawn travelling problem, it does get boring. 1 is a smaller map, another is a large map but you spawn closer to relevant battles.
Personally i would love them to implement this system. A real war mode would be amazing. Thanks for giving such a great idea.
Thanks for the approvals guys, I think we should get the dev's attention to this idea, cause it'll be a real innovation in war games.

hyperiu, some good ideas there. Your massive war map with motherships is pretty much the idea I have in mind (+ no set capture points for dynamic warfare (but player made bases can act as capture points), possibly more space vessels, and no set goal for having to destroy/slow down the mothership, but that is a strategy players can take)

And yes, an incap/revive system would be pretty good as well. It would add more importance to the medic/support class.
Some interesting ideas but flawed:
1) This would leave the losing team exposed to being spawn trapped.
2) Im personally not a fan of spawning inside the vehicles as I find it immersion breaking and remember this game is meant to be a reskin of battlefront 3.
4) This would leave players exposed to getting destroyed in the drop pods by fighters.

Personally though I prefer the main game mode to be like a conquest mode in the original battlefront games where you spawn in space and I do like the idea of spawning at capture points however if its contested then maybe restrict the spawning.
These are just my personal thoughts and opinions you may agree or disagree just putting out my thoughts.
I disagree, as the fact that only the main base is the spawn will force the attacking side to trek all the way back to the enemy spawn to take it out. Either the attackers strategise well, assault the enemy spawn, and win the game, or they attack poorly and will be forced to respawn at the main base (allowing the losing side to possibly regain ground).

Spawning inside the dropship being immersion breaking is a good observation. I said that players could spawn straight in the troop transport in order to make it less tedious. However, thinking about it now you're right; I say just let players spawn in the main base and either go their own way or take a troop transport to player-made bases in the battlefield. As stated before either players or AI will drive these dropships to player made bases (if players control the ship they can fly it wherever they want).

Drop pods wouldn't be vulnerable to destruction by fighters, as (like in HALO: ODST and Planetside 2) they will DROP to the surface, really fast. I'd make it theoretically possible to destroy drop pods as they fall; however, it would require extreme precision and skill by the pilot, probably an unrealistic level.

And yes definitely, an ordinary conquest mode like before should be in this game. That being implemented beside my game mode would be the best outcome; more ways to play the game.
Dont forget we are talking about 32 v 32 battles if there are 32 players attacking spawn that's a lot to kill in a low amount of time until the enemy re spawn and come back.
Also the idea of drop pods is to do a strategic attack so presumably you would usually want to drop into the capture point with the most action this would make the ship dropping the pods (and AI controlled ships) extremely vulnerable and would make it difficult to spawn without getting killed quickly and be lucky if the drop pod ship isnt shot down.
The maps in war mode would be large (and have more than 32v32 too), so there would be a big gap of time between attackers being killed and then being able to come back to the enemy spawn (especially if vehicles are running out, which is another feature I suggested).

I think you misunderstand me with the drop pods (though I might not have been clear so fair enough). Drop pods come from the larger carrier vessels above the planets, so they won't be very vulnerable at all unless the enemy concentrates a lot of effort into destroying that carrier.
AI controlled drop ships would be the more passive form of transport for players to their desired player-made forward base; the AI could possibly drop you in the middle of the action but you would be correct in saying that it would be vulnerable. This is why players can take control of drop ships too and take them wherever they want, as well as employ human level skills to avoid destruction.

Either way, you've gotta admit, a huge scale war mode similar to Planetside 2 would be epic.